Monday, January 12, 2009

Pregnancy: A great time in your life


Well, since I am nearly done with my pregnancy, I can make an honest assessment about it. I had several friends tell me to "enjoy this time" and "it is so fun being pregnant". I would have to say that I would have to disagree.
I mean, I have had a relatively comfortable pregnancy. Relatively no morning sickness, constipation, stretch marks or varicose veins. I really should have nothing to complain about. But, I haven't really enjoyed it.
I haven't liked growing out of my clothes and buying new ones that really aren't that cute. Let's just be honest. I mean they have made improvements in maternity style but it still doesn't compare to your regular clothing selection. They are also kind of expensive and many times of poor quality.
I haven't enjoyed weighing myself at every Drs. appointment. Watching the pounds creep up is no fun. I always ask them if they really need to do it. At this point in my pregnancy (38 weeks) is it really necessary? I mean, I think I've gained enough. Come on!
I haven't liked my changing body and my increasing awkwardness or instability. Does anyone like having trouble putting on their shoes?
I haven't liked how I haven't been able to wear my wedding ring for the last couple months and that only a handful of shoes now fit (I read somewhere that my shoe size may never be the same! What would I do with all my shoes!).
I haven't enjoyed being treated like I am handicapped either. People are always trying to help me or telling me I shouldn't do this or I shouldn't do that. I know how far to push myself!
I haven't liked being an emotional basket case and driving my husband crazy.
As much as I have complained here, I have liked feeling my baby move around inside me. I've liked the excitement of preparing for his arrival with the registry, the books, the showers and more. Ultimately, I have liked the health of the pregnancy and my baby and the joy I feel that I will soon have the chance to experience motherhood and love something like I never have before.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This totally cracked me up! I don't know who told you that "it is so fun being pregnant" but that woman should be punched right in the uterus. Because that's exactly how enjoyable pregnancy is. Oh sure, there's a few perks. The kicking is definitely cool. Until they kick you in the bladder so many times you feel like you should just take up permenant residency in your office bathroom.
Look, we do what we gotta do to get our little ones here. It's definitely worth it. But that doesn't mean you gotta love it.

Welcome back to the blog world - can't wait to see pics of the little peanut!

Gentry said...

Haha, I love the pic!

redvultr said...

You may think differently when the storm his here. Hide the harpoon and treasure; the looting, plundering, and pooping is about to begin.

Jessi said...

I am so excited to see a pregnant picture. Thank you for indulging me (and all the others who have been begging). You look beautiful. I cannot believe the time is here for the Rice to arrive!

lauren said...

Thanks for this, Aub! I have also been told to "enjoy this time of my life" and that "pregnancy is so fun". It's early yet, but it's nice to have your realistic perspective since I'm sure it's not all roses and sunshine as some would profess.

The Fast Family said...

I can't wait to hear about his arrival! And, yes, your shoes will no longer fit. It's lame.

Polliwog said...

You sound just like me. I never like any of it, except the movement. But the third time around I wasn't even loving that! The comments are what I really don't like. "Any day now" from a San Francisco street person when I was only 7 months along still haunts me.

It's fun to see your blog! I can't wait for baby news.

PS You'll be amazed how much better you feel (physically) once that baby is out.